Helpful Resources and Links
Asset Protection/Elder Fraud
- Elder Fraud and Abuse Resource Page, from the ABA Commission on Law and Aging
- Virginia Adult Protective Services Division
- Virginia Department for Aging and Rehabilitative Services
- TEFRA Repeal: Essential Changes to Partnership Agreements and Operating Agreements
- Discusses essential updates that should be made to every operating agreement for a partnership or LLC treated as a partnership, to avoid significant changes in the new partnership audit rules under the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2015 which go into effect starting January 1, 2018.
- ACTEC Family Estate Planning Guide
- 10-minute YouTube videos from the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel discuss the importance of planning for incapacity with a durable financial power of attorney and revocable living trust.
- Estate Planning Check-Up
- Take our quick quiz to see what deficiencies may exist in your current estate plan.
- Estate Planning: How to Get Started
- A well-planned estate is a wonderful legacy to leave your family. Use the following checklist to help you tackle the issue and start some important conversations.
- Estate Planning Info and FAQs
- Comprehensive estate planning FAQs webpage from the American Bar Association Section of Real Property, Probate and Trust Law, full of information ranging from what a will does/does not do to living wills and retirement benefits.
- Health Care Decision Making Resource Page, from the ABA Commission on Law and Aging
- National Health Care Decisions Day (NHDD) Website
- NHDD aims to help people across the U.S. understand the value of advance healthcare planning. Check out their handy tools and resources to begin the conversation to ensure that your health care wishes and those of your loved ones are expressed through a health care power of attorney and advance directive.
- Pet Planning Resource Page (including Pet Trusts), from the ASPCA Virginia Advance Health Care Directive Registry
- Virginia Insurance Counseling and Assistance Program (VICAP) Resources Page
- Helpful information on Medicare, long-term care, nursing homes, caregiver assistance, etc.
- ACTEC What It Means to Be a Trustee – A Guide for Clients
- Fairfax County, VA Administration of Estates Info Page
- Guide to the Administration of Estates in Virginia, from the Virginia Bar Association (2015)
- Guide to Probate in the District of Columbia, from the Register of Wills (2010)
- Montgomery County, MD Probate Policies and Procedures, from the Register of Wills (2016)
- Social Security Survivor’s Planner website
- Unbundled Trust Management – 10 Competitive Advantages
Tax Services and Calculators